The Church of St Michael and All Angels in Winforton dates from the 12th or 13th Century. The chancel and north transepts were added in the 14th century, and it was in that period that the nave roof was heightened. The lower part of the tower is medieval and the timber bell chamber 16th century. The church was restored in 1895, when the south wall of the nave and part of the chancel were rebuilt, along with the porch. The parquet flooring dates from this restoration. The north transept is used as a vestry.
In the 2004 re-ordering, the pews in the nave were removed and the choir-stalls taken to the back of the nave. The pews were replaced with chairs and collapsible tables. The vestry was adapted to provide kitchen facilities and the bell-tower adapted to house modern-day toilet accommodation, all designed to meet the Disability Discrimination Act.
The font has a Norman base and a plain 14th century bowl and was situated in the west end of the nave, until in 2005 it was moved to the sanctuary. The pulpit is 17th century with some Jacobean panels. The organ was built in 1794 and was originally a house instrument, being brought into the church in 1877. The wood and plaster reredos dates from 1915 and is the work of Martin Travers.
There are five bells dating from the 18th century, which are now chimed rather than rung.
The significance of our church, as for any church, lies in its being a centre of worship, mission and outreach for the community that it serves, now and in the future. With the recently completed adaptation of the nave for community uses, the building assumes a greater significance for the life and activities of the people of the village.
The pattern of services held in the church have settled to Evensong at 6.30 pm on the first Sunday in the month, and Holy Communion at 8.00 am on the third Sunday.