Last month we rang for the harvest festival, always an enjoyable service to ring for. We also had visitors from Malvern who were on a ringing outing in the area. Later this month, we are planning a full peal on Remembrance Day during the evening and a quarter peal on Remembrance Sunday during the afternoon. Both will be rung half muffled, which gives a wonderfully distinctive sound to the bells, so do listen out if you can.
Learners’ practices are now taking place at Eardisley on Thursday evenings from 6pm – 7pm. If you want to try your hand at ringing, do come along and join in. If Thursdays are difficult, then please contact me and alternative arrangements can be organised to suit. To find out more about ringing in general, then visit the guild website at www.hdgb.org
Once again the harvest service was a wondrous occasion, the decorated church, the harvest hymns and the vicar’s inspirational talk all made for a perfect tribute to the harvest. The supper afterwards at the village hall was sumptuous and some visitors joined us. Thanks once again to everybody who helped to make the evening a success.
The raffle raised £63 which went to St Michael’s Hospice.
This year Whitney Carol Service will be held at Whitney Court. There will still be carols and readings but the format will be slightly different. Favourite carols, readings and poems will be included so do start giving it some thought.
The annual Grand Draw will take place after the service. Further details will be in the December OTN.
This year, instead of a Christmas Tree Festival, Whitney will be holding a ‘Crib Festival’ on December 18th & 19th, Saturday and Sunday. Quite a few people have already agreed to stage a crib scene in a window but there is still room for more in the church. If you are interested in helping with the event please get in touch with
Janet Bumford 01497 831264 or Jenny Hill 01497 831470.
The church of St. Peter &Paul was built in 1740; it replaced an earlier church on the north bank of the Wye which, together with the Rectory, was washed away by a great flood in 1735 when the river altered its course.
The south doorway is one of the two external Georgian features remaining. The other is the window in thesouth wall,to theleft of the doorwaywith red glass added as a memorial to Mr & Mrs Bowen.
The west tower had its upper storey rebuilt in 1903 when a small spire was added.
The font came from the earlier church and has a 12th or 13th century bowl on a 14th century base. The small window behind it, in the west wall, is probably 16th century; the west gallery dates from the 1740 rebuilding.
The nave pews were rearranged in 1857 to increase the seating from 83 to 125. The panelling, possibly from the earlier church, is late 17th or early 18th century. It includes a re-used cupboard door, dated 1704, at the west end of the north side.
The pulpit is a Jacobean reproduction, believed to date from the 1903 restoration when the Georgian plaster ceiling was removed.
The nave windows include one of St.Peter & Paul to the left of the south doorway. This commemorates the Jubilee of the Rev. Henry Dew, first resident Rector in over 100years.
The chancel arch has a slate plaque on its east side to William Wardour, who rebuilt the church in 1740. The right hand clergy stall is dated 1723 and has the initials A.L. On the south wall is a marble monument from the earlier church to Thomas Williams of Cabalva, who died in 1698.
The organ was installed in 1884 as a memorial to the wife of the Squire, Tomkyns Dew and has been re-built in 2009.
The sanctuary reredos is made of 17th century oak panelling from Whitney Old Court, the centre of which is dated 1629. The communion rails are from1740 and the14th century east window has Victorian stained glass.